Subtitle: Getting Past The Doom And Gloom
News and journalism are changing due to technology, economics and reader/producer role changes. What types of news forms are emerging in today’s social digital environment?
TED Talks : Alisa Miller shares the news about TV news in the US (2008)
- Create Twitter Account; provide Twitter handle on this TypeWith.Me document
- Create a NewsU.org account
- Leave a comment on the blog of the student who follows you on this list: https://com466.wordpress.com/students-2011/
- Configure Blog -> Dashboard (login)
- Change time to Pacific/GMT -8 : Settings -> General
- Pick a new theme : Appearance -> Themes (best for readability is dark text on light background)
- Remove requirement that comments be moderated : Settings -> Discussion -> deselect “Comment author must fill out name and e-mail” – select “Users must be registered and logged in to comment” – deselect “An administrator must always approve the comment”
- Give the category “uncategorized” a new name such as Miscellaneous : Posts -> Categories
- Blog post (one) due Monday at noon:
Complete this NewsU tutorial (1-2 hours: News Sense: The Building Blocks of News
Note: unlike most NewsU tutorials, this one does not have a “submit to your instructor” form at the end. Therefore, what I need from you are the following screenshots* and an answer to the following questions
- SS: Test your news sense – Story 6 – the items you check in the “newsworthy” checklist
- SS: Verification match (your match)
- SS: Build your own story (your first round build – pre-submit – we will talk about this exercise on Monday)
- Q: (“Interviews” module): why is proper attribution so important?
- Q: What is a primary source and why is it important?
- Q: Which story building block makes the most sense to you as a reader and why?
How to take a screenshot:
- PC folks: “alt+print screen” will capture the active window; paste into Paint (tutorial). Consider installing Jing, a free utility.
- Mac folks: download Skitch (free); the keyboard shortcut for fullscreen is shift+apple+6; for active window, shift+apple+5 and click inside the window. Click and drag the “drag me” tab at the bottom of the Skitch window to export as a jpg or png, which will be web-readable.
- Firefox Users: consider adding the FF extension, Aviary.