Subtitle: Virtual Communities and Online Social Networks
News and journalism are changing due to technology, economics and reader/producer role changes. What types of news forms are emerging in today’s social digital environment?
- Housekeeping (review assignments completed – media consumption survey: only half completed – reading: only half completed; absent: Brian, Tom, Wilhelmina)
- Practicing comments (preparing for today’s discussion)
Read this week’s reading posts (from the link above) and comment as follows (students 1-4, students 5-8, students 9-12, students 13-15)
- Web 2.0: Blogging & Twitter
Blogging and Twitter
- Web 2.0: Blogging & Twitter (ppt)
* A 90-second documentary
* Is Social Media A Fad?
* Evan Williams on Twitter (TED Talk, 2009)
- Kathy: demo bit.ly
- Set up Twitter accounts (not private/protected – OK to set up a separate account for this class)
Recommendation: a variation on your real name
- Add to our student page (give me your @name)
To start, follow one another as well as:
- @kegill_uw (optional: @kegill
- @digidave (national)
- @hrheingold (national)
- @markbriggs (local)
- @moniguzman (local)
- @timoreilly (national)
- @westseattleblog (local)
- @nytimes (national)
- @foxnews (national)
- @journalismnews (international)
Before Class Wednesday
- Find and follow an additional 10 people related to digital journalism : this means that everyone should be following a minimum of 35 accounts by class on Wednesday (10 + 15 + 10)
- Blog post with the 10 accounts you are following with a short explanation of who they are / why (feel free to copy/paste bio if it contains all relevant info). Category: assignment; tag: Twitter, journalism. Example post.
- Find one article about Twitter & journalism – blog it and tweet it; find one article about the future of journalism – blog it and tweet it. This can be one blog post (if you can write a good headline that encompasses both) but it needs to be two tweets. Category: assignment; tag Twitter, journalism. Example 1; Example 2.
- Tweets should include our hashtag: #com466
- REMINDER: I’ll be in CMU302 on Wed at 11 am to run the Poynter NewsU webinar on finding a job in journalism.