I had very high expectations leading into my video project. I’ve produced quite a few over the years and really wanted to combine my new knowledge of composition and the value of natural sound with my editing experience. I was planning to shoot a ton of footage of a camping/climbing trip throughout the entire weekend. However, technological problems quickly forced me to improvise. While filming on the car ride on day one, I discovered that the flip camera was almost out of battery power. Before leaving I was sure to insert the device into a USB drive to charge it (or so I thought). With the video camera dead I turned to the still camera that I had brought along, which promptly ran low on battery power as well. I ended up having to improvise a new plan utilizing the little power remaining in both devices and recording audio interviews back home. Rather than an epic documentary of the weekend, I had to focus on one climber’s “project” that had been denying him for years. I wasn’t able to shoot much of a variety of photos because there was so little power remaining.
Needless to say, it was very frustrating not being able to shoot a fraction of the video or photos that I had intended. Although I didn’t do the project as planned, I think I did a great job of improvising in the field. I was very careful to charge and experiment with both the video and still cameras before taking them out of the lab and yet I still had problems. After returning from the trip, I discovered that the flip cameras aren’t charged by an internal battery but two AA’s. In the future, I would try to use my own equipment. I’ve had difficulties using borrowed items and I realize how much smoother everything would be if I had a personal camera with which I was familiar.