- First hour: lab with Kristina Courtnage Bowman
- Lunch: pizza
- Second hour: guest speaker: Barbara Serrano, managing editor at Yakima Herald-Republic
Recap of Wednesday’s assignment:
2-3 minute audio story – new story or continue refining story number 1
- By 8 am: blog post with (a) one to two paragraphs with a succinct summary of the story and explanation your goals; note any reporting challenges and (b) one to two paragraphs explaining how well you met your goals, what you learned doing this project, and what you would do differently if you had a chance to redo this assignment.
- BRING the MP3 TO CLASS and we will upload them to the web and link them in the blog post.
- Content – Does the audio tell a story? Are sound bites logical (progression, relevance)? Are you giving the listener the information she needs to understand the story? Is each person clearly identified? Can this story stand alone or does it need text or images for context?
- Sound – Is the audio listenable? Is there some natural sound and is effective or gimmicky? [Remember: Do not use music unless it was recorded in the background of your interview, and it is critical to your story. All natural (ambient) sound must be “true” to the story (if you’re interviewing the chef of a restaurant and want clanging dishes, record it at that restaurant – not another one).
- Bonus points for news value (your framing is critical here); creativity